What are the type of rays used ?
High frequency sound waves which are not audible to the human hear. They are non- ionising (meaning not harmful to the tissues / parts examined)
Is it safe during pregnancy ?
Absolutely safe; this type of examination has been in medical practice for over 35 years and has been proved beyond doubt worldwide to be safe to the mother and fetus. No harmful effects have been reported and thats why till date it is the safest method to study the fetus.
Can repeated ultrasound scans be done for the fetus ?
Yes, repeated ultrasound scans are safe for both mother and fetus.
Why are so many scans done during pregnancy ?
The purpose of scans during particular time of gestation is as follows :
DATING SCAN :
- Is done for confirming the pregnancy. It also helps in knowing if the pregnancy is intrauterine or ectopic in location.
- It also helps in assessing the exact gestational age if the cycles are irregular.
- A transvaginal scan is mandatory during this time. It is a safe examination and is the prescribed method of evaluation world over.
FIRST TRIMESTER SCREENING FOR DOWN’S SYNDROM AND OTHER CHROMOSOMAL ABNORMALITIES.
- This scan is done between 12 and 13 + weeks.
- It has two components namely an ultrasound examination and blood test to evaluate the maternal markers.
- This scan is to be done by trained and certified persons to evaluate the nuchal translucency.
- If the patient for some reason could not do the first trimester screening, can go for second trimester evaluation by scan and triple screening test between 17 to 19 weeks.
TARGETED SCAN OR ANOMALY SCAN :
- This scan is done between the 21 and 22 weeks.
- A detailed evaluation of the individual organs including the heart of the fetus is done in this scan.
FETAL ECHO :
- This is done around the 24th week.
GROWTH SCANS :
- These scans are done in the Third trimester at regular intervals to assess the growth of the fetus.
- The number of growth scans is tailor made according to the growth of the fetus and other associated complications.
OBSTETRICS DOPPLER :
- It is evaluation of the blood flow from the mother to the fetus through the placenta.
- This helps in evaluating the fetal well being.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ULTRASOUND :
- Fasting for four hours ( Water , Coconut water, Fresh Fruit juice are allowed.
- Milk and mild related products will shrink the gall bladder. Hence to avoid them.
- Elders, kindly do not over load yourself with fluids. If need be the bladder can be filled after evaluating the upper abdomen.
- Obstetrics patient can have the food and need not fill the bladder.